he Kebbi State Police Command has arrested a 19-year-old woman in Zuru Local Government Area for allegedly stealing a newborn and presenting the child to her husband as her own.

The incident reportedly occurred on July 23, 2025, when the suspect allegedly visited Fatima Muhammad shortly after she gave birth and offered to assist her by fetching hot water.

 

Bashir Usman, the command’s spokesman, in a statement on Sunday, alleged the teenager stole the baby while pretending to help the newborn’s mother.

According to the police, the suspect allegedly used the opportunity to flee with the newborn instead of returning with the water.

“The incident occurred on 23rd July 2025, when the suspect, while pretending to assist Fatima Muhammad, who had just given birth, allegedly offered to fetch hot water but instead fled with the newborn,” he said.

 

Preliminary investigations revealed that the suspect had allegedly been under social and emotional pressure over her inability to have a child, particularly as some of her peers had already given birth.

 

The police said she allegedly deceived her husband for about nine months into believing that she was pregnant and, after the birth of the stolen baby, allegedly took the child and presented it to him as their own.

“She consequently allegedly deceived her husband for about nine months into believing that she was pregnant and, after the birth of Fatima Muhammad’s baby, allegedly took the child and presented it to her husband as their own,” Mr Usman stated.

The suspect was arrested on August 14, 2026, following sustained police investigation.

The stolen baby was subsequently recovered and safely reunited with the biological mother.

The police said the suspect remains in custody and will be charged to court after the conclusion of investigations and in accordance with applicable law.

 

The Commissioner of Police in Kebbi State, CP Umar Hadejia, commended the police operatives for their diligence and professionalism in securing the safe recovery of the baby and arresting the suspect.

He also reassured residents that the command would continue to protect children and ensure that anyone found culpable is brought to justice.

The police statement was signed by the Command’s Public Relations Officer, SP Bashir Usman, on August 16, 2026.

 

 

 

 

Most Viewed Videos
RECOMMENDED SONGS
Comment Below
Enter your user name

Enter Your Email

Enter your content here